Friday, August 13, 2010

Immortal Beloved

Quick Plot: An immortal, Nastasya (yeah-- she goes by Nasty, not sure how I feel about that...) sees her friend do some really messed up stuff one night and decides that she needs to change her immortal life. Long story short, she steals herself away to the middle of nowhere, meets some cool immortal people like her, decides to change her life, and learns a bundle of stuff about herself in the process...

What can I say... I like everyone else have been inundated lately by books dealing with all kinds of otherworldly issues. Trust me, I appreciate that Immortal Beloved is not about warewolves, or fairys or vampires-- well not technically.
I read this book yesterday, and the first 100 pages were kind of tough to get through. The prose was stilted. It seemed that the author wasn't really in touch with her character. Once she did find her, the story picked up. I'm extremely interested to see what happens with Nastasya, (though I hope there's a name change) and the original band of characters we are introduced to in this book. I'm a little upset that so little was resolved at the end of this book. I fear that is a trend though that will surely follow us through the next few years. The unresolved novel-- because surely there will be a sequel, or a trillogy is already planned, so it's okay to leave the story lines hanging.
All in all, I think that ms Tiernan did a good job in creating her less evil characters and I look forward to meeting them in future books. Hopefully then there will be some resolution and I won't be worried about her viscious imortals who are still running around, tricking me into leaving my own mortal life behind.



R.

No comments:

Post a Comment