Friday, August 13, 2010

Ship Breakers


Quick Plot: In a dystopian future, the polluted oceans have risen, there's extreme class segregation, it's survival of the fittest, and money rules the world-- no, but seriously, how is it different than today??? The wiry teenage boy Nailer is lucky--he's a survivor-- and he's honorable. He saves a wealthy girl--Nita-- from almost certain death.

The reader follows as Nita tries to reclaim her privileged life, and Nailer tries to find the direction of his against horrific odds.
This is a book worth reading. Its gritty look at a (who knows what's possible) future has significance with regard to our current culture. The feel of the book is at once both familiar and foreign, monopolizing on current truths and potential fears. As I read this book, I thought to myself yes-- I suppose this is a realistic, albeit dim, view. And while I hope that the future does offer more than body harvesting, drugs, abuse, malnutrition, dangerous jobs, and a general atmosphere of ruthlessness for the poor in this world; I applaud Mr. Bacigalupi for the dignity of his vision.
R.

No comments:

Post a Comment