Friday, August 27, 2010

Return to Paradise


Quick Plot: It's a Sequel, and also-- I'm guessing-- the conclusion to a story. Caleb Becker is living on his own and is in a lot of trouble-- because after all, he's a trouble maker (isn't he?) He's given a last chance at redemption, and of course there he encounters the problems he tried to leave behind-- namely Maggie. She limps back into his life and suddenly Caleb has to deal with his problems. All of his problems.


Okay-- I think this book is okay. Not the worst, not the best. I felt that Ms. Elkeles did get the emotion of teenage life correct. yes, it's raw and yes, it's neurotic. Yes, you always love who you shouldn't and things always seem simpler for other people. I also felt though that she was trying a touch too hard to push a message. Don't get me wrong, irresponsible drinking has gotten many a person (underage or otherwise) in lots of trouble, and maybe it's because I'm not a teenager, but I found myself at points rolling my eyes. I wanted a story, not a lecture. So despite the fact that I have the first novel in this series, I'm going to skip it. I'm just not a fan of being lectured-- sorry.


R.

No comments:

Post a Comment